Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the leader in personalized learning. Partnering with innovative schools and school districts, Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers.
Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers.
Today, Paper is partnered with over 700 schools and supports over 750,000 students.
Senior Backend Engineer:
The Engineering team at PAPER is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with a passion for building and deploying software products for students & teachers in schools across North America. As part of the fast-growing Engineering team, your work will be dedicated to developing, maintaining and improving our backend web services in coordination with our Machine Learning and Data Science team.
PAPER embraces Agile and Test Driven Development principles to deliver highly scalable, highly available, and secure software. We work in a collaborative environment of continuous learning.
Senior Backend Engineer Responsibilities:
- 3+ years work experience with PHP and the Laravel framework
- Experience with writing and scaling REST APIs returning JSON
- Strong understanding of API authentication mechanisms and scoping, preferably OAuth2 and JSON Web Tokens.
- Deep understanding of Object Oriented Programming, Microservice and API architecture
- Strong knowledge of MySQL - writing and reviewing complex queries and performance tuning
- Deep understanding of Test Driven Development methodologies - writing unit, integration and end-to-end tests