At Returnly we help brands that care about shopper loyalty offer better product returns. We are a financial technology services company that builds award-winning products that drive repurchase behavior and customer loyalty. We’re backed by smart money VCs in Fintech including some prominent members of the Paypal Mafia. Our headquarters are in San Francisco Financial District and we have offices in Chicago and Madrid. We are on a mission to de-risk online commerce and are building a team of amazingly talented people to help us do it.
About the role
At Returnly, we value you as a whole person. We care about the skillset you bring to the table, but more importantly, we care about the kind of person you are, and the culture and attitude you bring to the table. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will help build solutions that will be used by thousands of customers. You will find success in this role if you are a seasoned engineer who appreciates real, technical challenges and building high quality services.
Responsibilities / what you will do
- Solve new and challenging problems around eCommerce payments, credit issuance and settlement, fraud detection, SaaS integration
- Design, build and operate large scale production systems in the cloud (AWS)
- Implement software deployment pipelines that enable agile development and testing processes
- Automate boilerplate engineering tasks and build tools to improve the productivity of our developers
- Collaborate with Engineering to define and implement security and access control policies in accordance to SOC II
- Build and enhance systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Troubleshoot cross-system issues across the whole stack using log data, time-series metrics, and various analysis tools
- Disseminate DevOps mentality and skills to other engineers, analysts and data scientists
- Work cross-functionally with some of the best people in different disciplines like Engineering, Data Science, Finance, Product, Marketing, Sales, Customer Success
Qualifications / what we look for
- 5+ years of experience working in a role applying DevOps practices
- Strong familiarity with *nix environment including bash and command-line tools
- Strong software development experience (Go, Python, Scala, Kotlin or any other established language) and solid understanding of current software design best practices, including modularity, event-driven architecture, functional programming, microservices, object-oriented design, optimization, extensibility, and testability
- Proven work experience with CI/CD build pipelines and tools (Buildkite, CircleCI, Jenkins)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, e.g. AWS CloudFormation, Terraform etc.
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration services (AWS ECS, Kubernetes)
- Good understanding of security best practices in a cloud environment
- Experience with systems monitoring and alerting tools (Prometheus, Grafana)
- Experience working with RDBMS and NoSQL databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Snowflake, Redis) and ability to write efficient SQL queries
- Understanding of database methodology and database systems as well as relational schema design a big plus
- Excellent planning and time management skills, being able to provide deliverables on time; ability to anticipate and resolve project roadblocks
- Strong communication skills, confidently representing your expertise to peers and stakeholders across the organization
- Self-motivated, working independently, intrinsic learner
- BS in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience
- Prior startup experience a big plus
- Diversity: We are diverse, independent thinkers and still one team with one mission.
- Openness and empathy: We learn and grow by listening to our customers and each other
- Integrity: We always do what’s right for our customers, Returnly and ourselves – in that order.
- Team: EQ is as important as IQ. We make time to help each other out.
- Commitment: We are curious and fearless. We own risk, outcomes and everything in between.
We really love hearing from you, but before applying please check the following…
Read the values section above carefully and ask yourself if this is a good match for you personally. We want you to be an ambassador of these values!
Do you have all the skills required for this role? Can you demonstrate them? Be realistic – we will only consider applications that demonstrate relevant skills or the potential to match these role requirements.