Software Development Engineer in Test, Data Platform
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to join our team. You will work side-by-side with data platform engineers and quality team members to create and deliver automated test solutions with the scalability to serve our rapidly changing data platform. These solutions will integrate and extend our developing CI/CD environment, as well as validate and monitor our production data pipelines. This is not an entry-level position. . An ideal candidate for this position can jump into our on-going projects and come up to speed quickly, exercising independent judgment to make the best use of his or her time. We expect excellent knowledge of software testing practices, test automation, and prior experience working cross-functionally using agile methodologies.
- Build frameworks that validate the functionality and performance of large-scale offline systems
- Determine how to best test for new product and system features (manual and automated), as well as automation for regression tests for our data platform.
- Design, implement and execute test plans and test cases in accordance with best practices and techniques and prepare test results for various test methods including black box, white box, stress/load, data integrity, security, and automation
- Track testing status and results and provide data reporting on defect/bugs, automation efficiencies, and other significant indicators
- Collaborate with the team to translate business requirements and functional specifications into test plans, test scripts, and drive for high-quality software practices
- Collaborate across teams and departments to lead other QA in best practices for automation throughout our software development lifecycle that improves overall software reliability while minimizing overhead on development efforts
- Understand our multiple product domains in detail and put that understanding to use to ensure optimal test coverage
Beyond experience in an SDET role, we focus on the qualities we feel are important to success on our team. These include:
- Pragmatic — able to view the big picture and create the simplest solution.
- Adaptable — you jump in, learn, and help where needed; you thrive in an agile team and pivot when necessary
- Ownership – you take end-to-end responsibility for your work, from understanding the “why” behind requirements to owning the result of your work in production
- Leadership — ability and willingness to contribute to technical direction. Improves the entire team and shares in team success. You consider where we need to be in the future.
- Detail Oriented — you obsess over data integrity and pursue a deep understanding of data semantics
- Curious — you actively seek industry and technical knowledge and share what you’ve learned with the team; you like to learn something out of your comfort zone
- Continuous Improvement — you leave things in a better state than how you found them; you strive for incremental improvement. You consider where we need to be in the future.
- Open Minded – you’re not fixated on your own ideas or approaches, and accept ideas from others; you seek context rather than taking something on without external input
Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge of QA methodology and tools, software testing processes, and best practices
- Strong testing skills, proven by a track record of success
- Ability to translate use cases and/or technical specifications in to test cases
- Ability to write code for automated testing tools, services, and frameworks ( Python, Typescript )
- Ability to understand technical specifications
- Ability to troubleshoot and debug technical processes
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and think creatively, and successfully mentor and lead other team members
- Working knowledge of tools like Jira, Confluence, Github, and Jenkins
- Experience testing data integrity
- Experience working in an Agile or Scrum environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication and social skills; able to effectively collaborate with partners.
- Skilled at creating, extending, and using test automation frameworks and tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 2+ years’ experience with test automation, ideally in big data processing applications.