Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn.
Quizlet is the popular, global learning platform and app that millions of students, teachers, and everyday people use to study any subject imaginable for school, work or as part of their personal interests — including two-thirds of high school students and half of all college students in the US. Combining cognitive science and machine learning, Quizlet guides students through adaptive study activities to confidently reach their learning goals. We’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content and engagement, at the scale of YouTube.
Valued at $1 billion, Quizlet has raised over $60 million in venture capital from investors including Icon Ventures, Union Square Ventures, General Atlantic, Costanoa Ventures, Owl Ventures, and Altos Ventures.
To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners through multiple approaches and various tools.
With offices in major cities around the world and ambitious plans for expansion, we remain grounded in our commitment to our mission of helping people learn. We’re looking for new team members who crave a challenge and want to help us continue amplifying our impact.
The Data Engineering team sits atop the nexus of the lifeblood of Quizlet: data. We build, support, and provide useful abstractions on top of the rainbow of data storage and movement technologies that go into efficiently helping people learn, wherever they are. Our internal customers are Product Engineering, Analytics, Finance, and Data Science. Our goals for 2021 are to accelerate the adoption of real-time applications by providing production-ready Kafka infrastructure, improve the reliability and utility of our ETL infrastructure by moving to a managed service in GCP, and build a horizontally scalable application data layer that will allow Quizlet to scale to 10x current traffic. In all of this, we aim to build useful abstractions for our customers and keep a close eye on data governance issues.
A typical day for a data engineer at Quizlet might involve careful planning of the work you own, pairing with a teammate to share knowledge, effectively communicating your status through asynchronous tools like Jira, and talking with internal stakeholders about their needs. We try to optimize for large amounts of focus time, while ensuring that others have the information they need about your status.
- Help scale our application data layer so it can handle > 100k transactions per second
- Build new streaming data infrastructure to feed machine learning and analytics
- Ensure reliability of the systems that move and transform Quizlet’s data for use in analytics and the product
- Create and maintain libraries, APIs, and other shared abstractions used by Quizlet’s Data Science and Analytics teams or delivered as microservices.
- Do all of this in a way that internal customers find approachable and easy to use
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills and a strong sense of ownership.
- Empathy for the wide array of people who rely on Quizlet data platforms (analytics, product, data science… everybody, really)
- A reliable teammate with a strong sense of ownership.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience with any / all of:
- Horizontal sharding solutions for relational data stores
- MySQL (Cloud SQL), Cloud Spanner, Memcache, Redis
- Containers, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm, and supporting technologies running on Google Cloud Platform
- Visualization tools like DataDog that connect metrics and events
- Python, TypeScript, GoLang, Kotlin/Java
- AVRO, DBT
- Apache Airflow, RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka
Benefits and perks:
- Collaborate with your manager and team to create a schedule that ensures a high level of productivity (creating that ideal work/life balance)
- We offer 20 days of paid vacation (and we expect you to take them)
- We provide a monthly in home office stipend to employees while our teams are working remotely for the COVID pandemic
- We’ll provide you with a laptop, top-notch benefits available to all fulltime Quizleters
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways – not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!