Integrations / Back End (Elixir) Engineer
Meet Instinct 👋
Instinct Science is a growing Philadelphia-based animal health company working on unique technology solutions for state-of-the-art veterinary hospitals across the globe.
We’re seeking an experienced Back End Engineer who is looking for a new career opportunity to be the next member of our growing 35-person team.
The Instinct team is fully distributed, thus geographic location isn’t important as long as you can overlap with our regular business hours (Mon-Fri 8-5 ET).
Position Summary 😺
You will join the Instinct team alongside other experienced engineers to work on creating connections to third-party systems, contributing to our backend application, developing internal tools and in shaping our data models. Your contributions and leadership will greatly influence the usability and usefulness of the product.
The ideal candidate is efficient, organized, detail-oriented, and motivated to work on challenging yet meaningful work that has the potential to shape an entire profession.
Day-to-day work will consist of managing partner relationships, designing, building, documenting and troubleshooting interfaces to third-party software. Additionally, you will be building new features, troubleshooting bugs, planning future dev work, reviewing teammate’s PRs, and taking ownership for our growing back-end application. You will be part of a close-knit team that is working hard for a better product each day.
We’re Looking for Someone With ⚡
* At least 3 years of experience building back-end applications
* Usage of Elixir and/or Erlang in production
* Deep knowledge of API designs
* Working knowledge of networking protocols and data interchange formats (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP, JSON, XML)
* Working knowledge of relational databases
* A high bar for code quality with belief in automated testing
* Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous engagements
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills with experience to resolve problems efficiently
* A desire to mentor and support a team of fellow developers
* Ability to think through challenges and develop features that solve them elegantly
* Ability to challenge and improve our current architecture
* Excitement for building critical integrations for veterinary hospitals
Bonus Experience 💡
* Previous remote engineer position, preferably as part of a small team
* Previous work on health care, medical records, veterinary, or enterprise software
* Knowledge of HL7
* Managing business relationships
Technology Used at Instinct 👨💻
* Elixir, Phoenix, Absinthe (GraphQL)
* PostgreSQL, Redis
* Cypress, Jest, React Testing Library
* Papertrail, Sentry, Prometheus, Grafana
* Github, Jira, Slack
A Sneak Peek at Team Instinct 🔭
The Instinct team consists of a unique mix of veterinary and technology experts who offer years of experience developing and commercializing point-of-care software for the veterinary industry.
Instinct fosters a diverse, inclusive, transparent, professional, and fun work environment that values balance. As a fully distributed team, we seek teammates with strong communication and organizational skills. We’re building a company that reflects our care for every individual, treating each team member well by going out of our way to help one another in the short-term and pushing for growth in the long-term.
We’re guided by one thing: helping veterinary hospital teams excel. To that end, your work contributions will greatly shape the workflows, staff happiness, and patient care for some of the most advanced veterinary centers on the planet.
Salary and Benefits Highlights 🌞
- We offer a supportive, innovative, caring work environment
- We pay our team well (based on experience)
- We give our team owner-like flexibility over work and time off
- We offer health, vision, dental insurance, and 401K
- We offer a generous home office and professional development stipend
- We provide all-expense-paid travel to hospitals and our retreats
Learn More About Us 👓
Corporate website: https://www.instinct.vet
Our blog Pick the Brain: https://pickthebrain.instinct.vet that has articles that will help you understand a little more about how we engage and help our customers—besides writing awesome software.
Instinct Science is a greater Philadelphia-based animal health company that helps the world’s state-of-the-art veterinary practices streamline their care through medically-driven invoicing and thoughtful automation. Find out more at www.instinct.vet.
Our project is supported by the Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern PA, an initiative of the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development funded by the Ben Franklin Technology Development Authority.
Instinct is an equal opportunity employer committed to equality and providing a pleasant work environment free from harassment or discrimination in any form. All employees will be treated equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, ancestry, veteran, or disability status.