Tucows is hiring a Remote Perl Software Developer
We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning and applying new technologies to exciting problems.
You have notable experience developing software and are good at using languages like Perl to implement features in distributed systems. You are comfortable working at scale on dozens of interdependent components across multiple environments. You are also capable of navigating large codebases and uncovering the complexity in existing systems. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in collaborative design discussions. In addition to the above, you are flexible and able to remain effective when priorities shift.
What you’ll be doing:
First 30 days:
- Join a team that is working on our core domain name registration system
- Gain deep understanding of our existing platforms
- Implement small stories and ensure quality through writing automated tests
First 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that development standards are adhered to
- Design and implement features of increasing complexity
- Share knowledge and act as a trusted mentor to junior team members and coops.
- Implement projects and features from conception to release
- Balance the need to ship code quickly with the need to make sound technical decisions.
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- Experience building software in Object Oriented Perl
- Experience working with development best practices (version control, unit testing)
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Understanding of Python is a huge plus
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Experience building software iteratively using feature flags
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is possibly the biggest Internet company you’ve never heard of. We started as a simple shareware site in 1993 and have grown into a stable of businesses; mobile, internet and domains.
We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
Today, close to a thousand people work in over 16 countries to help us make the Internet better. If this sounds exciting to you, join the herd!
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you are ready to be part of a fast-growing technology company where you determine your future, we want to hear from you.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.