Position type: Full-time employee
Seniority: Senior Software Engineer
Location: Remote (desired time zone between UTC-3 and UTC+3)
Compensation: 60k–65k EUR/year (67k-73k USD/year) + stock options (both based on seniority level)
At Athenian, our mission is to help engineering leaders build better software faster by leveraging metrics and insights. We provide a data-enabled engineering platform that offers end-to-end visibility into the software delivery lifecycle.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values, and want to make the people around them better.
We are a team of 18 who are entirely remote across 7 countries in North America, Europe, and Asia. We’re backed by amazing investors, and our customers, large and small, love working with us.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer of API at Athenian you can expect to have a big impact in shaping the product.
You will have the opportunity to work alongside our highly skilled team to design, build, and iterate on a world-class software web application.
You are expected to contribute to the API part of the backend. Athenian API is currently public on GitHub, and the corresponding OpenAPI specification is open source. We deploy the API in Google Kubernetes Engine.
We are developers building a product for other developers and we build our product with a sense of pride and ownership. You will be in a collaborative environment where you will work closely together with product and engineering to understand user needs, and discuss new ideas to solve complex problems.
- Co-own the API that is a cornerstone of the product providing the entire analytics engine.
- Closely collaborate with the data retrieval and frontend developers. “One API to glue them all.”
- Understand customers’ needs and propose ideas and discuss solutions innovating with the team on engineering and product.
Skills & Experience
- Full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken. The ability to communicate comes first, no matter the level of technical skills.
- Strong experience with writing high performant, asynchronous, type hinted Python3 code.
- Strong experience with writing high performant queries in PostgreSQL.ç
- Strong knowledge of numpy.
- Strong experience with Linux.
- Experience with scalable backend design: load balancing, fault tolerance, etc.
- Experience with writing Cython code.
- Experience with OpenAPI.
- Experience with pytest or alternative.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Strong knowledge of Git tools and concepts.
- Knowledge of pandas.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical & statistical concepts.
- Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform or similar.
- Experience with aiohttp or similar; SQLAlchemy.
- Knowledge of C/C++ or Rust.
- Experience with Go.
- Experience with columnar DBs like Clickhouse, Druid.
- Experience with Redis, memcached, or similar.
- Experience with event-driven backend architectures.
- Experience with GitHub Actions, Circle CI, and Jenkins.
- Experiments with Machine Learning and/or Data Science.
- Mathematical background.
- Having worked remotely.
- Having worked in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Having worked on a SaaS product.
- Having used modern collaboration tooling (Jira, GitHub, Slack, Zoom, etc.).
- Responsible and professional
- Independent, goal-oriented, proactive attitude
- Disciplined and communicative in remote environments
- Collaborative and with a strong team-spirit
- Curious and interested in learning new things
The hiring process is composed by multiple steps:
- CV review
- Screening Interview
- Technical Assessment project
- Technical Interview + Q&A
- Architecture design Interview + Manager Interview
- Communication of the outcome
Engineering at Athenian
At Athenian Engineering we are currently a team of 5, consisting of the Head of Engineering and 4 world-class Senior Engineers, each with a diverse area of expertise ranging from Language Analysis and System Architecture to Machine Learning on Code and modern APIs.
We collaborate with each other on a daily basis and we value each contribution and idea. We foster good collaboration through transparency and good communication, and we believe that teamwork is key to move fast and be successful.
Athenian is a fully remote company. At the moment, we are 18 people from 7 different countries working closely together in a fully-distributed way.
We put a lot of value into collaboration and feedback, no matter if it comes from our CEO, a customer, Product or Engineering because we know that the best ideas can come from anywhere.
We believe in transparency and collaboration, which reflects how we operate internally and externally.
We are humane and care about each other's growth and wellbeing.
Flexible hours, set your own schedule that fits you.
Be sure to mention the word REGARD when applying to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.