Within3 is searching for an experienced Principal Ruby Engineer to work within an agile team of software architects and developers to implement and maintain secure, scalable, cloud-based data/ETL pipelines for our public and customer specific data integrations.
Technical aptitude is a must, and so is the right team-minded attitude and the ability to work interchangeably with others. The core team is a small SWAT-style team with everyone pulling their own weight, playing a variety of roles, and covering each other’ responsibilities when needed. Applicants should be qualified as top-notch full-stack developers, with a passion for focusing on backend service-oriented architectures, scalable system design, databases and data models, and API-driven models.
- Deep appreciation and understanding of data, scale and Ruby on Rails.
- Live and breathe a DevOps culture on a small team of Senior SDEs and SREs that work hand-in-hand with you to deliver modern, scalable, SaaS software across multiple cloud providers.
- Own and implement the key data delivery pipelines for the company’s flagship SaaS platform.
- Follow software development best practices to create maintainable and extensible software solutions.
- Work with modern CI/CD tools and methodologies to ship product on a daily basis.
- Work in an agile manner with transparency and fluid communication within the engineering team and across other teams in the company.
- Work with product owner to understand internal and external requirements and help the team design solutions to satisfy these.
- Work with Senior SREs to contribute to the overall platform stability, availability, and quality.
- Enable SREs to have visibility and responsibility into the function of the code they are operating.
- Interact directly with SREs and customers to triage, debug, and remediate production issues.
- Experience with Sidekiq, ActiveAdmin, Custom DSLs or very similar is a must.
- 5-7 years of professional programming experience with languages and frameworks such as Ruby, Rails, Python, etc.
- Familiar with cloud and Linux sysadmin experience – IaaS, PaaS, and container/orchestration experience is important.
- Proven track record of success in a high-functioning continuous delivery environment.
- Working knowledge and hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes (or similar container/orchestration).
- Expertise with a variety of relational and NoSQL databases. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Couchbase, DocumentDB, DynamoDB, MongoDB, Redis preferred.
- Solid understanding of modern API design patterns (REST, GraphQL, JSON, etc.)
- Understanding of source control systems (git, hg, etc.) and related workflow patterns (e.g. GitFlow)
- Familiarity with Big Data systems such as Hadoop, HBase, HDFS, Spark, Kafka, etc. is a plus.
- Understanding of privacy-by-design frameworks, and code-level security techniques is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills are required.
- Education: Formal higher-education degrees in STEM fields or vocational certificates related to software development are preferred, but not required. Real-world experience and proven track records count as much, if not more.
- 100% Remote work options
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development
- Dynamic culture
- A REAL work life Balance – We REALLY mean it!