At Masabi, we are helping to make cities better places to live, work and visit, by enabling seamless, frictionless journeys on public transport systems. We are a SaaS company, developing a ticketing (fare payments) platform that allows people to buy and present tickets for public transport on their mobile phones or travel simply by tapping a bank card.
We believe that fare payment systems that remove the complexity of riding on public transit are an essential tool for agencies and that this technology should be available to every passenger and every transit agency around the globe, without prohibitive costs or taking years to deliver, helping people move seamlessly from A to B.
Our Justride platform has been named Ticketing Technology of the Year 2019/2020 and is deployed in over 100 locations around the world, including New York, London, Boston, Las Vegas, Valencia, The Hague, Los Angeles, Sydney and many more. With an exciting industry-first mobile ticketing SDK, we are partnering with companies like Uber, Lyft, Transit, Moovit and many more to enable the purchase of public transport tickets within leading mobility applications.
Come join us on this exciting ride as we build the transit technology ecosystem of tomorrow.
Masabi is looking for Java / Kotlin engineers to join our engineering team. Our team operates as three tribes, with each tribe containing one or more pods, and each pod being a team of around 5 engineers working as an agile unit.
You will play a big part in defining and shaping the solutions that we implement, to ensure not only that our customers get a great experience, but also that we receive enough feedback about our implementation to iterate and improve upon it.
This role is available in continental Europe, either in a fully remote model with quarterly travel to our London office or in a hybrid model for anybody who is interested in relocating to the UK, for which we would offer sponsorship.
- Communication and collaboration skills. You understand how your communication style can impact other people and you enjoy being part of a team.
- A desire to learn and eagerness to contribute are very important to you. There are plenty of features that are not yet designed, let alone implemented, so you must be keen to get stuck in and make your mark.
- You should take a holistic approach to development, caring about the entire Masabi platform as well as the core components owned by your pod.
- You will have experience working with either Java or Kotlin, building backend web services.
- You should have a bias for action and be willing to take calculated risks where appropriate.
We use a variety of technologies across our tribes and pods, including but not limited to:
- Kotlin / Java 11 / Groovy (Spock)
- DropWizard / Spring Boot
- AWS Lambda / Fargate / EC2 / S3 / SQS / DynamoDb / RDS
- Terraform / Puppet
- Git / Gradle / Maven
We don’t expect you to know everything on the list, you’ll be given the opportunity to learn anything which is new to you.
We practice TDD, CI and our deployment cycles range from multiple times per day up to fortnightly depending on the pod.
Some of our benefits (UK)
- Competitive salary package
- 25 days of holiday per year plus the option to buy another 5 days pro-rated
- Private Healthcare via AXA including pre-existing conditions and mental health
- Life Insurance
- Choice of workstation
- Flexibility to work from home whenever you need to and flexible working hours (we are currently operating either fully remote or in a hybrid mode, please see Remote Working Policy below for more details)
- Ability to work for up to 3 months per year from any country in the world
- Pension scheme
- Training allowance of up to £1000 per year
- £200 annual allowance for any home office need or improvement
- Onsite/video yoga classes
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Unlimited snacks and drinks, with regular free lunches (when in the office)
- Regular social gatherings with a monthly allowance for each employee
- Biannual company events
- Fun and collaborative environment with a focus on making a difference in the world
We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view, striving to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. Whoever you are, just be yourself. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don’t discriminate. Also, please notify our team of any preferred pronouns at any point in your application.
In light of the continued Covid-19 risks, all interviews are expected to take place by phone or video.
Our interview process is as follows:
- Recruiter chat (approx 30-40’)
- Manager chat (approx 30-45’)
- Tech Interview (approx 90-120′)
- Culture Interview (approx 60’) <optional>
Masabi’s flexible working policy will allow you to work fully remotely, or from one of our offices in London, Cluj, New York, Denver or Boston. The choice about where you work from will be largely made by you. Regardless of where you choose to work from, you will be allowed to work outside of the country of your employment for up to 3 months each year (tax laws permitting).
To find out more about who we are and how we work, please have a read about how our business reacted to the Covid pandemic: https://www.masabi.com/2021/08/02/emerging-stronger/