Senior Software Engineer – Data Team
We are NYC based, but remote friendly unless specified. (US & Canada based candidates only)
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
A company’s ability to track events is the key to improving and optimizing its business model. An event provides information about how users interact with the company website and its product. Determining what events to track is foundational in this context, as there are hundreds or thousands of possibilities. As a result, Codecademy is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our data team and partner with Product, Engineering, Marketing and Design to devise a strategy to track events in our platform. Our application continues to collect and process thousands of data points each day, we use this data to provide more intelligent recommendations and learning solutions for our millions of learners. We believe that everyone’s learning journey is unique and we can leverage data to personalize learning for each user.
Our data team works on three key areas: building a data platform, building and supporting ML models, and building and supporting analytics (internal and external). In this role you work with engineering and design teams to implement event tracking across our products so we can better understand all of our different learners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Assess our current client-side, server side events, corresponding metadata, and tracking specs.
- Partner closely with the Product, Engineering, Marketing and Design teams and other key stakeholders to formulate questions for analysis.
- Translate questions into related events and processes.
- Determine what events to track.
- Build and maintain the event tracking system for both internal and external use cases.
- Design, define, implement, optimize and maintain new and existing events and their properties, entities, naming conventions and data tracking plans.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of product managers, software/data/analytics engineers and data scientists.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Ability to think critically about Codecademy’s business model and how it can be improved.
- The ability to break down real-world situations into stages that can be described by event data.
- Familiarity with the database technologies we use in production: MongoDB, Redis, PostgreSQL.
- Ability to make pragmatic engineering decisions, write extensive tests and create documentation.
- Strong project management skills; a proven ability to gather and translate requirements from stakeholders across functions and teams into tangible results.
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience working with Customer Data Platform (we use Segment) and Object-action framework.
- Experience with tools in our current warehousing stack: Apache Airflow, Snowflake, Segment, Apache Kafka/Confluent, dbt, Looker.
- Experience with Segment ecosystem – Protocols, Personas, Journeys, Functions.
- Experience in protecting users’ privacy and familiarity with GDPR & CCPA.
- Comfort with containerization technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, etc.