This role will own the Svelte front end for DocumentCloud, the web’s leading open source document analysis and publishing platform, used by newsrooms and non-profits to share primary source materials that inform the world. We’ve recently launched an extensions platform on DocumentCloud making it easy for our user community to extend the platform with scrapers, machine learning, and other innovative approaches, opening up an exciting opportunity to help scale impactful transparency to communities around the world.
DocumentCloud is a dynamic web application that we are continuing to improve. In this role, you will be an expert in UI, UX, and all things front end. They will collaborate with the technical team, customer support team, and CEO to prioritize new features and bug fixes as required by the customer and business needs. When necessary, you may also provide front-end support on our other products as well as contribute to backend code if necessary.
Reports directly to the CTO as an individual contributor.
You are excited about this opportunity because you’ll…
- Build web applications with web development best practices
- Work with back-end developers to integrate UI components with APIs and databases
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical requirements or UX design
- Debug errors, troubleshoot issues and perform routine performance optimizations
- Write high-quality, scalable, and reusable code
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies and industry trends
- Within 3 months: Successfully integrate into the MuckRock team. Set up a fully functioning development environment and make simple contributions to the code base based on business priorities unassisted and more complex contributions with appropriate assistance.
- Within 9 months: Confident with the codebase. Demonstrated ability to take initiative and tackle larger and more challenging tasks on your own.
- Within 15 months: Full ownership of the codebase. Demonstrated ability to help drive the direction of DocumentCloud and make relevant suggestions to the direction of the product. Demonstrates a pattern of sound technical decision-making and the ability to keep the team informed in a timely manner.
We’re excited about you because you have/are…
- Familiarity with CSS preprocessors such as Sass, Less, or Stylus
- Experience with build tools such as Webpack
- Basic proficiency with mock up tools and web design and an ability to generate layouts and designs for new features
- Understanding journalism, civic technology, or non-profit sectors is a plus
- Distributed team experience is a plus.
Our team loves working at MuckRock because…
- This will be a full-time remote role with an annual salary starting at $95,000, based on experience.
- Three weeks of paid vacation annually, plus ten holidays (US postal holidays), and week between Christmas and New Year’s Day off.
- Health insurance with full premium paid for employees and 75% of the premium for dependents.
- Professional development, including covering costs for conference and event attendance.
- All board meetings are open to all staff and include meaningful engagement.
- Company dental, vision, and health flexible spending account plans.
- Paid parental leave
- 401K with 4% match
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Budget for a new laptop that you pick out and other home office purchases.
- Distributed team with flexible scheduling.
- We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
- To apply, please fill out the application form located here. You may email any questions to [email protected].