Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
Who We Are
Babylist is the leading destination for baby commerce, where 8 million people each year discover and purchase items to help welcome a new baby. We serve parents and the community of grandparents, friends and relatives around each baby – connecting everyone who helps plan, prepare and shop for the new arrival. From the add anything from anywhere registry for new parents, to the expert advice and product ideas for gift givers, there is no more trusted, go-to solution for growing families.
Our Ways of Working
We’re a remote-first company with team memberslocated across the United States spanning multiple time zones. This means we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for us. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees so people can get the work done in the way that suits them best. After all, many parents call Babylist their professional home, and sometimes, you just have to jump off that Zoom meeting to clean up that banana that’s getting stomped on by your 2 year old.
We know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to quickly build those relationships, we offer the opportunity to meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually. Most of our roles are fully remote, but these opportunities to meet in person will involve limited amounts of travel. For some leaders, there might be more opportunities to get together in person that would require about 10% travel to Oakland, CA or elsewhere.
Our Tech Stack
- Native iOS and Android
- Ruby on Rails
What the Role Is
We are looking for a Sto join our consumer experience team. This team is responsible for the end-to-end experience on all surfaces; used and loved by millions of parents and gift givers. You’ll work with expert technical leads and software engineers to build out the experience that is the core of our business. You’ll work closely with Product, Design, and other teams to execute key initiatives.
Who You Are
- You have 8+ years of experience in software development with React , React and Ruby / Python (or similar)
- You are able to deliver elegant, effective software solutions in a timely manner
- You are passionate about developing features from concept to deployment
- You are successful in an agile work environment and able to break down large pieces of work to deliver value incrementally
- We’d be really impressed if you had experience scaling backend and distributed systems to meet increasing traffic and complexity of operations along with testing and continuous integration
- You are a clear, friendly, and open-minded communicator
Your Core Competencies Might Include
- Manages Complexity
- Cultivates Innovation
- Drives Results
- Tech Savvy
How You Will Make an Impact
- Work closely with product owners to design, implement and deploy systems to support and scale our growing e-commerce, content and fulfillment operations.
- Provide thought leadership around process, tooling, systems, and software architecture. We benefit by more knowledge and learning how others solve problems. You would feel excited to bring in new ways of solving problems.
- Improve and help maintain existing systems. Friction in the development process slows us down and has a large opportunity cost. We see value in taking time to create maintainable systems and remove hurdles from the development process.
- Working in a close, supportive team solving real world problems and making decisions.
- Mentoring other team members through design and architecture planning, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Maintaining older systems and replacing them safely.
- Learning and growing as an Engineer.
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and we invest in the infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are an antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.