Senior Staff Software Engineer, Trust
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb’s various functions embody the company’s innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
This position is US – Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Airbnb is built on trust. Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to keep Airbnb a safe and trusted community. There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we’re looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
As a senior technical individual contributor, you are in charge of identifying opportunities and creative solutions to improve our Trust defenses and build a world class Trust and Safety platform. You will use your domain expertise in fraud/risk and experience with Service Oriented Architecture, real-time system, data processing pipelines, machine learning, graph algorithms, and feature visualization to accomplish this. You will partner closely with other senior leaders across the broader technical organization. Although you will be at one of our highest levels of seniority, all individual contributors at Airbnb are Software Engineers which means we expect you to be hands on and contribute code.
- Define overall technical architecture for major parts of Trust
- Architect large scale reliable systems to support continuous growth of the business
- Influence the organization, engineering leaders, product managers, and the business to develop a unified approach to Hosting overall architecture
- Participate & contribute in evaluation of new partners & integrations, as we build new trust capabilities on our platform.
- Implement significant portions of the system and help others in the implementation
- Build and maintain machine learning models and/or services to detect and prevent fraudulent activity.
- Work closely with other trust defense and platform teams to tackle the changing landscape of fraud attacks.
- Understand how key technical decisions will drive business outcomes
- Advise/mentor other engineers at Airbnb
- Master’s or PhD in related field, ie. Computer Science
- 12-15+ years relevant experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Strong programming (Scala / Python / Java/ C++ or equivalent) and data engineering skills.
- Experience with the Trust, Fraud and Risk domain.
- Experience building, leading, and architecting large systems at enterprise scale with a great impact (e.g. including well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Technical leadership: hands on experience leading project teams and setting technical direction and strategy
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Examples of working across global teams and organizations on technical initiatives.
- Passion for mentoring engineers and being a role model.
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $220,000 and $295,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.