What You’ll Work On
- Create a brand new product. Take ownership of a new, unannounced product that we have in the works, which includes both a beautiful, first-class CLI experience and a powerful web UI. Join a small team to help design, prototype, test, launch, and develop this exciting new initiative that we believe will transform the software industry.
- Work alongside product and report to the founders. You’ll collaborate with a product manager on the vision, usability, and business viability of our product, and take primary responsibility for our ability to execute. Further, you’ll report directly to one of Gruntwork’s co-founders.
- Manage a small team of stellar engineers. Manage a team of 3 engineers to help them organize and ship their work, provide mentorship, guide their careers at Gruntwork, and position them for success.
- Write code. Your primary job is to manage the team, but while it’s still a small team, you will have time left over to write code, helping to directly build out the product and set its technical direction.
Your Ideal Background
- You have direct experience managing software engineers.
- You have direct experience working as a software engineer.
- Strong knowledge of Go is strongly preferred.
- Bonus points for knowledge of Terraform, AWS, and other DevOps tools.
- You enjoy writing and have a clear, concise style.
- You are equally comfortable making impact through others, or leading small projects yourself if needed.
- Bonus points for a sense of humor, empathy, and curiosity.
Compatible time zones
This role is specifically for European time zones, though you can be located in almost any country as long as your time zone is no further west than the UK (GMT+0/BST) and no further east than Germany (GMT+1/GMT+2). We’ve found that when everyone on the team is located in a similar time zone, it’s easier to collaborate and there’s much less pressure to stay up late or get up early, so this is a hard constraint, even if you’re willing to work hours different from your current time zone.
Our benefits reflect our values. We believe compensation should be fair, transparent, and generous. We hire Grunts in many countries, so some details may vary.
- Location Independent, Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and uses a multiplier to produce a result that’s above market for that title. Our salaries are location independent.
- Equity. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all stock grants using formulas. The formula for equity factors in your title and your employee number. Moreover, we offer a Change in Control Bonus Plan, inspired by Progressive Equity, where if there is a large exit event, employees end up with a larger portion of the proceeds (rather than the founders hogging it all).
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Hardware Budget. We’ll buy you a brand new 16″ Apple MacBook Pro (or other computer of your choosing of equivalent value) upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We’ll give you a personal budget of $1,000 USD per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
- Minimum Vacation Policy. We require that you take at least 4 weeks of vacation per year; take more, if needed.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company. For countries other than the US, this includes extra coverage on top of your statutory insurance.