Senior Software Engineer I – Embedded Networking
Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email [email protected] Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.
As a senior engineer on the team, you will be intimately involved in the architecture decisions that will shape this product. You live and breathe device software that require high stability and fast, consistent performance. You love working with the latest open source technologies, and can leverage your system design skills to make the right technical decisions on a system that needs to be bullet-proof.
Not only can you drive decisions among competing engineering trade-offs, your empathy with customers allows you to intuit innovative solutions for our customer problems. You will be working closely with product managers and designers to ensure we are building the right solution for our customers. You also enjoy mentoring other engineers, and love to be a hands-on teacher helping to up level the engineers around you.
Join us to work with a passionate, mission-driven group of folks who want to positively impact the lives of first responders and those that they serve.
What You’ll Do
Location: Remote anywhere in North America
Reports To: Engineering Manager
You will be part of a critical team that designs technology that has a direct impact on increasing transparency and protecting truth. You will work with a team of talented firmware and software engineers to create and maintain in-vehicle surveillance systems.
Your job will be to design, develop, test and maintain existing networking configuration, and the supporting system and libraries, while interfacing with cloud and firmware services for the Fleet system.
- Lead engineering architecture design reviews
- Set a high technical bar for the team through code and architecture design reviews
- Mentor other engineers
- Work across teams with Product, Design, and Engineering to create integrated solutions that delight our customers
- Improve our Engineering process, including long-term thinking, sprint planning and stand-ups
- Build software that adheres to our high bar on stability and latency in this mission-critical space
- Work with the latest open source technologies
What You Bring
- Strong networking knowledge (such as TCP/IP, VPN, DNS, DHCP, tunneling to support a diverse array of network configurations)
- 5+ years experience of professional software development in C/C++, Go, Python and/or another systems programming language
- 5+ years experience writing unit, integration and/or system level tests
- 2+ years mentoring junior team members and/or leading small teams
- Understanding of Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, run-time analysis, object-oriented design and code quality verification
- Experience with Embedded Linux development and/or RTOS
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work
Don’t meet every single requirement? That’s ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.