What You’ll Be Doing:
- Negotiate and draft a wide variety of commercial contracts, including for technically complex projects with many moving parts.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations, including data privacy and employment.
- Help build a world-class legal function that can scale with the company and set standards for operational excellence.
- Identify key business risks and prioritize and communicate effective solutions in a fast-paced environment.
- Partner with teams and individuals across the company to help drive business outcomes.
- Effectively manage and liaise with outside counsel for specialized matters.
- Be a thought leader on legal and policy initiatives relevant to the company’s mission and business objectives.
- Learn to do anything that is needed in a startup legal environment and translate learning into practical action given constraints and strategic priorities.
What We Expect From You:
- Active license to practice law in the U.S.
- At least 2 years of experience representing businesses in a firm or in-house setting (solid litigation experience qualifies!)
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Commercial mindset; ability to balance protecting the company with building relationships and opportunities.
- Basic proficiency in intellectual property laws as they apply to technology.
- Ability to wear many different hats and understand the perspectives of different company roles and departments.
- Genuine interest and commitment to learning new things, including any area of law needed for the job.
Nice to haves
- Experience negotiating complex SaaS, technical services, reseller, and other commercial contracts.
- Experience with government contracts or negotiating government concerns.
- Experience with data privacy laws and concepts as applied in practice.
- Experience in a craft or field that you are passionate about in addition to law.
- Experience working in a startup environment, especially tech startups
- Informed interest in emerging technology law and corporate responsibility.