Senior Systems Engineer
IT Senior Systems Engineer
- Telecommute Yes
- Department Information Technology
- Under general supervision and guidance, the Senior IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the maintenance and support of Google Cloud Platform systems software and computer systems at Mayo Clinic.
- The Senior IT Systems Engineer will actively monitor and respond to technical system problems utilizing software testing tools and techniques as well as assist in managing overall system capacity.
- He/she may interface with Google vendor support or other external support teams to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded system performance.
- The Senior IT Systems Engineer will also be expected to contribute to the selection, implementation, and maintenance of custom system software, and/or the installation and maintenance of purchased systems software, plus the configuration and support of Google Cloud Platform systems across Mayo Clinic.
- The Senior IT Systems Engineer may also be asked to evaluate new products/technologies to determine impact on existing system configurations; assist with cost/benefit analysis, and feasibility studies; and assist in preparation and presentation of proposals that consider alternatives and business case gains needed for comprehensive institutional consideration.
- The Senior IT Systems Engineer is required to produce and maintain documentation such as systems requirements, designs, resource inventories and plans as requested by the work unit leadership; works effectively across departmental organizations gaining consensus of stakeholders.
- Work will be reviewed for quality, timeliness, and adequacy at predetermined milestones.
- It is important that the individual develops and maintains effective relationships with the I.T. technical staff and management across all Mayo sites in the support of multiple projects simultaneously.
- May be asked to perform consulting tasks or act as an information resource and/or mentor both internally and externally to the work unit.
- Consistently demonstrated the ability to take responsibility and accountability for managing work with little or no direct supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize issues appropriately.
- Must have demonstrated the ability to interact effectively with a variety of personnel at multiple sites.
- Candidates must demonstrate proficient verbal and written communication skills using English.
Qualified candidates must have skill and experience in supporting and configuring Google Cloud Platform services. Knowledge of general public cloud technologies, including IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, IaC and DevOps is required. In depth knowledge and experience with several Google Cloud services like Cloud Storage, VPC, Kubernetes, Compute Engine, Stackdriver, Terraform, BigQuery, Dataflow, etc. is preferred.
We will not sponsor or transfer Visa’s for this position.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of demonstrated technical experience or an Associate degree plus 5 years of demonstrated technical experience.
- A high school diploma and 7 years of demonstrated IT technical experience focused on managing operating systems, including configuration, internals, and maintenance processes in a large, complex organization like Mayo Clinic may be considered in lieu of the degree.
- Experience working in healthcare technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or related field; Master’s degree in a relevant technical discipline helpful.
- MCSE, CCNA, or other IT related certifications.
- Qualified candidates should have demonstrated experience in managing operating systems, including configuration, internals, and maintenance processes.
- Qualified candidates should have knowledge of system design principles, software development methodologies, project management methodologies, and some computer programming and/or system support experience.
- Experience managing both custom developed and vendor-supplied applications helpful.
- Advanced knowledge of multiple operating systems, including configuration, internals, and maintenance processes.
- Experience in system hardware design, ordering, configuration, testing and implementation of large projects.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills using English.
Exemption status Exempt
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum salary every 2 weeks is approx $3,318.00, based on a full-time position.
- Benefits eligible Yes
- Schedule Full Time
- Hours / Pay period 80
- Schedule details Monday- Friday Days
- This position is 100% telework within the United States.
- Weekend schedule On call rotation will be required in the future.
- Occasional weekends and evening coverage will be required.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
- Category IT and Engineering
- Career profile Information Technology
- Job posting number 139100BR
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.