Shopify’s platform is growing at an incredible rate, generating vast amounts of data. We leverage the cloud in order to move fast and produce great results. While we operate a comprehensive data stack, we’ve still got a lot of work to do, and that’s where you can lean in. We face many challenges head-on to ensure that our data moves seamlessly throughout our infrastructure in a safe and secure manner, while providing new insights and features.
We’re looking for engineers with a background in infrastructure, security and cloud technologies, DevOps, and an SRE mindset to collaborate on these challenges and deploy platform services at a very large scale. You’ll need a curiosity of how our systems work under the hood, and how we can leverage them to grow and protect the hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs that use Shopify.
You'll be working on:
- Ensuring that our data platform stays online, secure, and performant
- Creating and deploying infrastructure around specific security requirements
- Developing configuration management and automation tools
- Building out our monitoring and analytics tooling to get insights about our platform usage
- Building a world-class data analytics platform to help both internal and external customers, focusing on making the lives of our hundreds of thousands of merchants better
You’ll need to have:
- A systems-level approach; you’ve worked across the entire stack, from the OS all the way up to the application layer
- Cloud Platform experience (GCP//Azure)
- Technical leadership experience mentoring other engineers
- Comfort with multiple languages; you’re a low-level generalist who is comfortable with multiple languages such as Go, Python and languages which target the JVM like Java, Scala or Kotlin
- A passion for troubleshooting and finding the solution for the long-term; you don’t accept the easy solution as the only solution, and will dig to ensure that we put the long-term benefit of our merchants and stakeholders first
- Well-founded opinions about writing code and approaching problems; you’re comfortable with automated testing, code refactoring, and software engineering best practices
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart
It'd be nice if you have experience:
- Working with data at petabyte scale
- Securing a data platform and integrating security best practices at all phases of the development lifecycle
- Implementing privacy compliance in a data stack - for example, CCPA, GDPR
- Working with a modern data stack, including Spark, Beam, Presto, Hive, Airflow, and other big data tools and frameworks
- Developing and orchestrating large Docker deployments with Kubernetes
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.