We’re looking for creative individuals who enjoy a healthy mix of hacking and helping. You’re the type of person who secretly likes the fact that you run tech support for your entire family. You have experience running Linux-heavy distributed applications at scale, but you never forget the fact that a product is nothing without a legion of happy users.
Thankfully, NS1 already has an awesome product servicing some of the most innovative customers on the planet (see above). Now we need you to help us keep moving it forward. The majority of your day-to-day will be comprised of the front-line systems support type work that should be very familiar to you. When you’re not actively engaging with customers, you’ll have time to step back and develop tools and processes that will keep the Customer Success team operating efficiently. Overall if you enjoy triaging tickets with engineers, communicating complex solutions, assisting CSMs in customer migrations, and inspiring your colleagues through your resourcefulness this is the job for you!
Excelling in this position requires having broad knowledge of the many technologies that comprise modern Web Scale applications and being able to offer constructive advice for customer implementations as well as internal improvements. You’ll take responsibility for front-line support, and your daily work will have an immediate company-wide impact.
Responsibilities will include:
- Triage and troubleshoot Support tickets for both DNS and DDI products.
- Participate in 24/7 weekend support on a rotating basis.
- Engage in video calls with customers for migrations, training, and troubleshooting.
- Refine the support process and documenting learnings in the internal knowledge base
- Provide technical guidance, tips, tricks, training, and advice to the CSE team as a subject matter expert for our product suite.
- Serve as a consultative resource for customers as they integrate NS1’s software with their infrastructure
- Leverage insights gathered from working with customers to provide feedback into the product development process
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Operations teams on customer-facing issues and feature requests.
- Advanced understanding of DNS
- Excellent Linux/Unix, network, and firewall knowledge
- Experience with Docker administration and orchestration methodologies
- Basic knowledge of DHCP and IPAM
- Familiarity with shell scripting, JSON, APIs
- Familiarity and high level of comfort with managing distributed systems
- Prior exposure to containerized architecture and common virtualization platforms (eg. VMWare)
- Experience in customer-facing/troubleshooting roles
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
Nice to have
- One or more commercial DDI solutions
- Layer 4-7 load balancing
- Ansible or other config management software
- Tools in the modern DevOps toolkit
- Cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure)
Our technology stack at NS1, and the many systems you’ll have an opportunity to work with here:
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom-built DNS platform that’s deployed on physical hardware
- Anycast edge network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API and Client Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection, and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Distributed messaging, persistent DB, and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
- Go, Python, Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, node
- OpenTSDB, ELK, Grafana
- Integrations with third-party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations