Senior Software Engineer
The Black Tux is reinventing the formalwear rental industry so people can show up at their best on the days that matter most. The company designs and manufactures modern rental suits and tuxedos that actually fit—made of 100% wool, ordered online, and delivered for free. Using a combination of machine learning and industry-leading customer service, The Black Tux guarantees a perfect fit every time.
Just as we are on the cutting-edge of men’s fashion, we also strive to stay on the cutting-edge of technology and looking to hire a Mid-level Software Engineer. Our biggest goals on the technology team are to deliver the best possible customer experience, building solutions that adhere to high software engineering principles, and striving to maintain a positive culture where diversity and personal growth are highly valued.
What You’ll Do
- Build and improve software systems for a fast-growing, disruptive e-commerce company
- Design, develop and optimize scalable backend infrastructure to support the core product
- Create APIs to integrate with front end and 3rd party systems from highly distributed and independent microservices
- Serve as a key member of the backend design team through strong collaboration
- Contribute to the development of the team, our standards, and best practices
- Identify bottlenecks in our efficiency as a team (“tech debt”), propose and implement solutions
Who You Are
- 2 to 5 years of professional software development
- Extensive experience with Python (or other OO languages, such as Ruby or Java)
- Familiarity with a web framework: Django, Pyramid, Flask, etc.
- Conversant in ES5+ and Node.js
- Knowledge of modern web technologies
- Experience building distributed services
- Strong software architecture and design skills, solid CS fundamentals, pragmatic software design and architecture patterns, and their best usage
- Excellent data modeling skills and strong experience with query optimization
- Experience with developing and deploying on containerized architectures such as ECS and Kubernetes
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex technical and architectural concepts and ideas with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Strong organizational & leadership skills
- Previous work on consumer web products built from scratch
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment
Perks and Benefits at The Black Tux
- We pay people equally and based on market compensation data
- We provide a 401(k) plan through Betterment Our full-time employees receive stock options and have a stake in the company.
- We provide our full-time employees with Evergreen stock option grants every 2.5 years.
- Our Health, dental and vision plans are competitive, and we cover 100% of employee coverage and 50% of dependents.
- Open vacation time
- Monthly cell phone reimbursement
- Daily commuter reimbursement
- Dog-friendly HQ
- Complimentary dry cleaning & tailoring services
- TBT Women’s Group
- TBT Diversity and Inclusion Group
- Weekly catered lunches
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Stocked Kitchen & pantry
- Apple equipment or whatever you need to be productive
- Monthly employee events and training
- Free suit rentals
We’re an equal opportunity employer to all. We interview and hire applicants of all backgrounds, orientations, expressions, and identities