Associate, Editorial Coordinator
Teach For America
As an Editorial Coordinator on the One Day Studio editorial team, your role is to support a team of writers and producers with editorial and business functions that enable them to focus on producing high-quality print and digital journalism. Responsibilities include administrative tasks to streamline production, as well as forward-thinking projects that require knowledge acquisition and creativity.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the power of storytelling and interested in building their expertise in journalism, as well as print and digital publishing for mission-driven organizations. As a member of the One Day Studio editorial team, you will bring your voice and experience/passion for our mission and the communities where we work, and you will hone your expertise in purpose-driven storytelling including story development, editorial research, production, and amplification.
You are well-organized, detail-oriented, and a talented writer. You have superb project management skills and take pride in meeting your goals. You are a self-starter and take initiative on projects/tasks. You follow through on tasks, both big and small, and set high standards for their completion.
Your primary responsibilities will include the following:
- You will manage the editorial mailbox and suggestion box for pitches and letters; soliciting, curating, and editing alumni notes for the print magazine; and collecting and organizing hi-res photos and captions
- You will support editorial functions by conducting research and story sourcing, serving as the team’s power-user of internal data tools and external research tools
- You will contribute to content by conducting interviews as needed and writing Q&As and other short pieces
- You will support production by inputting stories and other content into our CMS, ensuring proper formatting and functionality; and assuming responsibility for occasional production projects such as content updates or new features
- You will manage advertising sales and collection of advertising files for each print issue. This consists of doing sales outreach to potential advertisers; handling all correspondence with prospective advertisers; taking ad reservations; bringing in art files; conveying art files to the team for copyediting, layout, and design; invoicing advertisers; and collecting payments. You will also record and keep up to date all records related to advertising sales and contact information on advertising prospects.
- You will own dissemination of the print magazine including collection of direct-mailing lists from across the organization and formatting to meet printer and USPS specifications; and managing bulk shipments to staff members and regions.
- You love to research and report and are excited by the opportunity to find stories among the people and communities in which Teach For America works.
- You’re eager to learn about the business side of publishing, including advertising and dissemination.
- You are an avid consumer of digital and print media and eager to support the editorial team in evolving through rapid changes in publishing.
- You are deeply committed to the mission of achieving educational equity and ensuring every student has access to an excellent education. You believe in using the tools of storytelling to achieve justice.
- You are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness and believe that diversity is crucial for persuasive storytelling and successful change efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years of experience in journalism or editorial work; experience in or demonstrated knowledge of public education strongly preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization, and time management, especially in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong team and customer service orientation.
- Ability to work independently and with a spirit of flexibility.
- Ability to anticipate needs and take action proactively, creatively, and strategically.
- Strong writing, editing, and interpersonal communication skills.
- High level of discretion and excellent judgment, operating with a high level of personal responsibility.
- This position is scoped for 45 hours/week, with additional hours during peak periods.
By joining staff, you join a network of individuals committed to pursuing equity for all students and developing themselves as professionals in the process. We as an organization value the longevity of our employees and offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits plan. The salary for this position is also competitive and depends on your prior work experience. Please be advised, you will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.